Goodwill Campus Move-Out 2021: 5 Reasons To Donate
By Alana Sesow
Congratulations, college students: you’re almost done with the spring semester! To celebrate your hard work, Lincoln Goodwill is teaming up with Nebraska Wesleyan University and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to lighten your load – literally – as you move out of the dorms.
From April 26th to May 10th (UNL) or April 23rd to May 12th (NWU), Goodwill will place collection bins inside all residence halls as a part of our 2021 Campus Move-Out drive. Here are five reasons why you should take advantage of this opportunity:
- It’s convenient. During the busiest time of the semester, you can donate items to Goodwill without ever leaving your residence hall. This means you’ll have extra time to study (or nap) as finals week approaches.
- Decluttering can help you study for finals. Research has shown that people who work in uncluttered spaces are more focused, more productive, and better able to process information. So, if you have items sitting on your desk that you don’t need, donate them! Your brain – and your GPA – will thank you.
- You’ll save space in your vehicle. After cramming for finals, the last thing you want to do is cram extra items into your car. Before you turn your move-out into a jigsaw puzzle, consider donating what you no longer need. If you won’t use it, you shouldn’t have to pack it.
- Donating is environmentally friendly. When you donate to Goodwill, your items are sold in our retail stores and given a second chance at life. Items that do not meet our production standards are responsibly recycled. In 2020 alone, Lincoln Goodwill diverted 2.2 million pounds of materials from the landfill. Learn more about our environmental impact here.
- Your donations create jobs. Sales from our retail stores help fund Goodwill’s Job Connection center: a free computer lab in downtown Lincoln that provides one-on-one assistance to local job seekers. Alongside Job Connection, Goodwill’s ROE program and partnership with other Lincoln nonprofits allows us to better serve individuals with disabilities and other traditional barriers to employment.
Goodwill accepts gently used furniture, clothing, electronics, and home goods, but cannot accept microwaves or TVs. We can also accept and responsibly recycle some items that don’t meet our sales standards, such as stained/torn textiles and broken electronics. Click here for a more comprehensive list of accepted donations. For more information about Goodwill Campus Move-Out 2021, email email@example.com or call 402-742-8456.