Interested in Giving Back to Your Community?
Anyone wishing to volunteer with Goodwill can follow these steps to begin:
- Submit an application online, click here.
- Attend Volunteer orientation within 30 days of submitting your online application. Tuesdays at 3:30 p.m. or Fridays at 9:00 a.m. at 2100 Judson Street. Appointments are not necessary, simply show up and bring a photo ID.
- At orientation volunteers will be assigned locations and may begin volunteering 2 days after orientation is complete.
*Individuals wishing to volunteer at the York store need to contact that location and set up an orientation there. York volunteers DO NOT need to travel to Lincoln to attend orientation.
Please Note: Goodwill is unable to accept volunteers who have a criminal history of theft or violence.
Age Requirements: Unaccompanied volunteers must be at least 14 years old. Volunteers younger than 14 must have a parent or guardian accompany them. Volunteers 14 to 15 years old may volunteer for a maximum of three hours per day, and a total of eighteen hours per week. Restrictions change during non-school months. The number of days per week is up to the volunteer and site supervisor. Exceptions may be made for court referred volunteers.
Hours: Daytime, night and weekend hours are available at most locations.
Volunteer Task Descriptions
- Pre-sorter: Sort donations into two categories at the warehouse.
- Facility Upkeep: Dust shelves, fixtures, merchandise, windows, upkeep of grounds including trash and weeds, light repairs, cleaning, painting, etc.
- Clerical: Greet/assist customers, answer phones, some computer work, filing, general office upkeep.
- Special Events: Assist staff at community events that are held throughout the year.
- Special Group Projects: A larger project that requires several volunteers and advanced planning.
To inquire about a group project, e-mail the Volunteer Coordinator.
For more information not listed here, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.